Jesse's Quick StatsName:
- 11th season competitive running
- 4th season of duathlon
Canadian Duathlon Championships (Montreal Esprit Triathlon)
Goals for 2015:
- Top 3 finish at Canadian Duathlon Championships
- Better life/training balance and consistency in training
- Experience some new racing and training opportunities
- Making it to September without burn-out!
- 2012 Ontario Duathlon Championship runner-up
- 2012 Triathlon Ontario Age Group Male Duathlete of the Year
- 2013 ITU World Duathlon Championships – 5th M20-24 (45th overall)
- 2013 Multisport Canada M20-24 Overall Series Champion
- 2014 Canadian Duathlon Championships – 3rd overall (1st M25-29)
- 2014 USA Duathlon Championships – 9th overall (2nd M25-29)
- 2014 Multisport Canada M25-29 Overall Series Champion
- Road running PB’s of 15:11 (5km), 31:35 (10km), 1:16:24 (HM)
I ran for 8 years as part of varsity cross country and track & field teams in high school and at the University of Windsor, focusing on the 1500m, 3000m and the steeplechase, before injuries drove me to buy a bike for cross-training, and inevitably led me to duathlon.
What drives me to compete and motivates me to train:
Success, improvement and knowing what I need to do to compete against the best
Favourite piece of gear:
My two bikes – a 2014 Felt B16 tri bike and a 2003 Klein Q Carbon Team road bike, customized and built up lovingly over the past year. Nothing fancy, but the satisfaction of building them up myself is priceless.
The one piece of gear I don’t have that I really want is:
Computrainer, Wahoo Kickr or Cycleops Powerbeam
Multisport Canada Welland Duathlon
The race I’ve never done but always wanted to:
Esprit, Valleyfield and Cornwall duathlons, or any European Powerman event
Favourite place to train:
HAAA Athletic Grounds in Hamilton (ideally at dusk)
Long progression runs on the Hamilton Harbour
When not training I like to…
Tinker with my bikes or hang out with my cats (Samson and Delilah) and whatever other animals my girlfriend Emma decided to take in that week
Favourite “healthy” food:
Pickles and hummus
Favourite “unhealthy” food:
Way too much coffee!
Morning person or night owl?
Night owl FOR SURE
Trouble with the Curve
Favourite TV show:
Big Bang Theory